Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Digiscoped Bird of the Day

Wednesday, April 21, 2010
6 comments

I flew into Phoenix, Arizona today and took this photo of a male Gambel's quail in a northern suburb of that fair town. The light was weak and it was drizzling—very un-Arizona-like conditions, actually. Plus it was chilly! But I could not resist trying to capture an image of this dude while he was singing.

I'm out here to give the keynote talk at the Verde Valley Birding and Nature Festival, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary here in Cottonwood, AZ. I'm hoping tomorrow's field trip to Page Springs yields another chance to digiscope Gambel's quail.


And I have not forgotten about Guyana—we'll head back there soon.

6 comments:

On April 22, 2010 at 12:51 AM Birding is Fun! said...

Nice photographs. I like that you can see each feather. When I lived in Mesa, AZ we had Gambel's Quail in our backyard that we enjoyed. Now we have California Quail in our Idaho foothills yard which are just as fun.

On April 22, 2010 at 8:25 AM Bill of the Birds said...

I'm glad their ranges are mostly separate because it's hard to remember exactly how to tell them apart visually, at least for this Ohio birder.

On April 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM Julie Zickefoose said...

Closed eyes on the singing male--how cuuute! Great to talk with you just now. I wish you fair skies or at least warmer temperatures.

Alex Trebec: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
Contestant: "What is: Absolutely true."

On April 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM Unknown said...

Awesome pictures. Makes me want to be in Arizona! Thanks for sharing!

On April 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM Mel said...

Hola Bill,
I think the photographs are fine, what a cool bird!
I'm learning slowly and trying to go birding whenever I can, not easy, but I'll get there evntually :)
Hugs from Peru,
Mel

On April 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM Cynde said...

Bill's trip to Page Springs was truly the highlight of the Verde Valley Birding for us. One cannot help but LOVE birding after being with Bill. Regarding the Gambel's Quail.. we now live in Sedona, AZ and have a number of them as residence of our yard. I love watching the quail.. and the best highlight is when they have their tiny babies following them all over the yard. One year they walked inside my kitchen when living in Scottsdale


[BACK TO TOP]