Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Fun With Food

Wednesday, December 5, 2007
11 comments
I promise I'll get some meaty posts about birds up here soon--sorry--it's been a heckuva bizzy week so far. But in the meantime, here's another installment of Fun With Food.

We had a nice breakfast last Sunday at The Wooden Nickel in Millersburg, PA, following Julie's big weekend-long art opening at the Ned Smith Center for Nature and Art. The garnishes used that morning on the breakfast plates included orange slices (perfectly reasonable for breakfast) and ornamental kale (huh?). It got our creative Fun With Food juices flowing, so we created a breakfast plate masterpiece entitled "Pancake-legged Hula Girl with Kale Miniskirt."

Except for the plastic-coffee-creamer-container pillbox hat and the orange rinds, this art is totally edible. And just LOOK at the masterful use of blueberries! Who knew?

We were so happy with it we nearly took it back up the road to the Ned Smith Center to add to the Zickefoose exhibition running there through February 16, 2008.

11 comments:

On December 5, 2007 at 9:45 AM Anonymous said...

Oh, your mother would be so disappointed, after all these years of telling you not to play with your food. Why is the hula girl so unhappy?

On December 5, 2007 at 10:30 AM Bill of the Birds said...

Are you kidding me? My mom is the one who TAUGHT me to play with my food, how to hang spoons off my nose, and best of all, how to time a punchline just right so you can make Coke spurt out of someone's nose.

On December 5, 2007 at 1:47 PM Trixie said...

Too funny, but why is the hula girl so unhappy? Hmmmm....could it be that the kale is truly ornamental and not edible.

On December 5, 2007 at 4:26 PM Anonymous said...

Oh...I LOVE your mother for teaching you all the important things like that.

On December 5, 2007 at 5:23 PM Rondeau Ric said...

Your creative bubbles out in all sorts of, dare I say, strange ways.

On December 5, 2007 at 6:27 PM April said...

Hula girl is unhappy because her bazoombas have turned dark blue.

On December 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM Heron said...

Thanks for another good laugh here at BOTB and hugs to your Mom for her excellent influence.

On December 5, 2007 at 7:32 PM Harshmellow said...

I am the one who made her frown. It was I,too, who put the creamer fez on her head. I lowered her arms from the happy-go-lucky dance she'd been dancing. Bill's hula girl was happy before I came on the scene. I cannot tell you why I did it, but I cannot tell a lie.

On December 7, 2007 at 12:38 PM Mary said...

Everyone should have a Mom like yours. This is the silliest thing I've read in a while (including comments). Boy, I needed this laugh today :o)

On December 7, 2007 at 9:02 PM Mary said...

I don't know who harshmellow is, but I like her/him.... :o)


[BACK TO TOP]