Monday, April 30, 2007

Birding Almost Heaven

Monday, April 30, 2007
7 comments

Later this week I head south to the hills of West Virginia for the annual New River Birding and Nature Festival, held for a week each spring in and around Fayetteville, WV. It seems like this is the fourth year I've been to this festival--it's a can't miss for me.

The New River Birding and Nature Festival is kept intentionally modest in size so the quality of the experience is high. That's a great philosophy for a birding festival--bigger is not always better.



Birding by boat is a very popular field trip. As we float down the breathtaking New River, we're flanked on each shore by the ancient Appalachian Mountains. The songs of hermit and wood thrushes, scarlet and summer tanagers, Baltimore and orchard orioles, and many warblers echo across the gorge. Such a peaceful way to spend an afternoon. And, yes, we avoid the whitewater portions of the river.

Warblers are a key focus of the New River festival. We often see 20+ warbler species on a single field trip. These happy folks (above) have just seen their life golden-winged warbler. They are performing the Life Bird Wiggle® high atop a mountain, where it's safe to dance like no one's watching.

Mark your calendars for next spring and join us in Almost Heaven, West Virginia... (you know the rest...)

7 comments:

On April 30, 2007 at 12:00 PM Rondeau Ric said...

I'm sorry to miss it this year.
We will be back with bells on next year.
Enjoy the ambience. Sing a song and hoist a beer. Hope there's some life bird dancing at the festival.

RR

On April 30, 2007 at 3:36 PM Anonymous said...

...Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah river. Life is old there, older than the trees, younger than the mountains, growin' like a breeze...

On April 30, 2007 at 5:53 PM Anonymous said...

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gathered round her
Miners lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine
Teardrops in my eye....

On April 30, 2007 at 5:55 PM Anonymous said...

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

I hear her voice
In the mornin hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin down the road I get a feelin
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday..

On April 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM theghostofjohndenver said...

That's blowing like a breeze. Give you $20 to stop?

On May 1, 2007 at 7:55 AM The Ghost of John Denver's Mom said...

The ghost of John Denver is a turd.

On May 1, 2007 at 12:51 PM Anonymous said...

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads
Take me home, now country roads
Take me home, now country roads.

The End

P.S. It is growin' not blowing


[BACK TO TOP]