Friday, February 10, 2006

Denver Images & Impressions

Friday, February 10, 2006
1 comments
Here's one way that Denver is different, beside the well-know fact that this Colorado city is a mile high. When you look down streets, facing westward, you just might catch a glimpse of the Rockies in the distance.
Downtown Denver has a pedestrian shopping mall, 16th Street, that was very pleasant to wander along at night--great people watching! Here's the view down 16th Street late at night. I found most of the people I met in Denver to be very cheerful and helpful. This is always nice to encounter when traveling.

My time at the NANPA summit was enjoyable--lots of photographer friends I had not seen in a while. On Wednesday night I ventured out for dinner with a flock of photogs, including Marie Read, Richard & Susan Day of Daybreak Imagery, and Connie Toops. I should point out that this is not the Susan Day (Dey) that starred on The Partridge Family. This is Illinois Susan Day, who, in my opinion, is much more talented....We enjoyed a yummy, laff-filled dinner on Wednesday night. Funny, I was the only one toting along a camera.

Leaving Denver today, at the airport, the US Airways agent that helped me was happy and seemed to be unaffected by the horribly rude, impatient, and too-tan-for-their-own-good departing ski tourists. I actually had to say to one angry older man (who could have smuggled a six-pack of Coors in his nose hair) that I though he needed to calm down. I've been late for a flight before, and very upset at the glacial pace at which things move when you are impatient to get going, but, having waited tables and worked in retail, I know what it's like to be treated poorly by a customer, so I just don't ever go there. On the other hand, I won't tolerate being treated poorly by a customer service person, either. But there's no need to yell and scream. That'll just get you a security guard on each elbow. The worst thing I'll say to someone is: "You seem to be really having a bad day. I know I'm not the cause of it, but maybe I should talk to someone else." This usually gets a dumbstruck look, then a half smile, and often, an apology. But it always gets a change in attitude.

While I am pet-peeving...why is it that there's free wireless access at every Motel 5-1/2 in the country but the Hyatt Regency, where you pay $200 a night, hits you up for another $10 a day to get online?

Heading to Lost Wages, Nevada now. Sitting in the Denver airport, where there is NOT free wireless access. What is wrong with these airports and hotels? Shouldn't free wirelss Internet access be an inalienable right?

1 comments:

On February 10, 2006 at 4:44 PM Rondeau Ric said...

BT3
Considering that I have to make do with a no speed dial up connection, your not going to get much sympathy hre.

Enjoy Lost Wages


[BACK TO TOP]