Thursday, October 20, 2005

Merlins a-poppin'

Thursday, October 20, 2005
2 comments
Yesterday, while I was on hold during a teleconference, a merlin zoomed past the conference room window here at BWD World Headquarters. That's the third merlin I've seen this fall. Recent reports have shown that merlins may be adapting to city life, much as the hacked-out peregrine falcons have done over the past 20 years. I'm happy about this because the merlin is a really great bird. It would be hard to find a bird watcher who is not thrilled at the sight of a merlin. Catch a glimpse of a merlin online at bird photographer Ron Austing's website

2 comments:

On October 20, 2005 at 5:02 PM Christina Lissmann said...

Hi. I just happened to find your blog. I have been looking for infomration on bird houses. I just bough a brand new bird house and wanted to know if the birds could use it now for the winter time. I live in the northeast and it's starting to get chilly, but i have no idea whether birds go into the houses in the winter time. Could you tell me? Thanks so much.
Tina

On October 27, 2005 at 4:06 PM Bill of the Birds said...

Tina:
Some birds will roost in bird houses (or nest boxes) in the winter months. I always put a handful of drieed grass in the bottom of my boxes and make sure they are as weatherproof as possible (we plug the vent holes in winter with flexible weatherstripping called Mortite).


[BACK TO TOP]